Breckenridge Film Festival Mission and Organizational Overview
Founded in 1981, the Breckenridge Film Festival (BFF) is a 501(c)(3) private, non-profit organization governed by a volunteer board of directors. Since its opening, the Breckenridge Film Festival has celebrated the art of filmmaking. Each year, a unique and varied array of major studio premieres, independent films, receptions, educational programs and retrospectives honoring featured guests takes place high in the Colorado Rockies. The vision of the Breckenridge Film Festival is to inspire, educate and entertain the community and its visitors through the art of filmmaking. The festival’s mission is to guide a year-round, comprehensive celebration of independent film for the community, visitors and filmmakers by presenting diverse film experiences in an authentic mountain environment. As such, the festival produces film events throughout the year, including the annual Breckenridge Film Festival. The festival’s events provide opportunities for diverse audiences to discover film through creative, thought-provoking experiences.
Program Overview & Job Summary
The Breckenridge Film Festival is seeking a PR Specialist/Publicist to build, maintain, and manage press leading up to and during the annual Breckenridge Film Festival, Sept. 15-18, 2016. The Publicist will work closely with the Festival Director, Marketing Manager and Graphic Artist as well as the Programming Department and Filmmaker Department to promote the festival as a whole. The Publicist will help coordinate coverage and press opportunities for approximately 60 participating films and associated artists. This is a three-month paid contract position.
- Watch preview screeners to gain working knowledge of films at festival
- Plan, develop and implement PR strategies and implementation calendar with emphasis on digital and social media organic and paid outreach.
- Promote “in-the-moment” social media tactics targeted at filmmakers
- Liaise with and answer inquiries from press, individuals and other organizations, via phone and email
- Work closely with programming and filmmakers to promote films, marketing specialty tracks to target audiences
- Create and deliver Media Kit with targeted pitches
Manage press screener check-out and returns
- Host a Media Sneak Peek invitation event in August in addition to other press screenings as requested
- Invite local and regional media to participate in the festival; manage accreditation levels and badges
- Leverage relationships with BreckCreate and GoBreck/Breckenridge Tourism Office to enhance coverage
- Request complimentary lodging for special media guests with discretion, knowing there is a limited supply
- Coordinate and deliver advertising content to media sponsors and partners
- Schedule and facilitate interviews between filmmakers and press
- Create interview itineraries for filmmakers
- Schedule and manage press suite at the festival
- Oversee festival signage plan to ensure appropriate public exposure
- Recruit and direct volunteer festival photographers on key festival photo opps, including sponsorship photo collateral
- Coordinate photo opps with festival photographers and media
- Create and distribute Media Alerts
- Coordinate volunteers associated with Festival press effort
- Deliver sponsorship reports to media sponsors and partners following the festival
June 15 – October 1, 2016 with fewer hours at the beginning and more hours each week as the festival approaches. Candidate must have complete availability September 15-18, 2016.
- Prior experience with PR in a festival or event setting required.
- Strong connections with local and national press desirable.
- Successful applicants will be self-motivated, deadline-driven, hard workers with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Attention to detail and ability to multi-task.
- A good, cooperative attitude a must.
- Ability to think on your feet is a double must!
- Proficiency using Constant Contact, Microsoft Word, Excel, and Google Docs is essential.
- Must also be comfortable using video editing software. Reliable transportation, must use own computer.
Classification: Independent Contractor
Hiring Level: Mid
Position Start Date: June 15, 2016
Submit cover letter, resume and list of 3 references to [email protected].